Musical tastes based on personality, is it really that easy? The article “Accounting For Taste,” describes different personality types and the types of music they are usually drawn to. The descriptions seem to be accurate, explaining the likes of those who are introverts, extroverts, neurotic, ect. It may be true that “Extroverts enjoy sensational art, introverts prefer more contemplative music with highly developed formal elements, like the mathematical symmetries of Bach,” but how do you classify a person as either introvert or extrovert. It isn’t black and white whether someone fits into the two categories. Also, who defines the terms? One person can’t define extrovert for all others .
I would consider myself an extrovert, yet I don’t fit half of the categories presented in the article. I think this is proof of the fact that not everyone is going to fit into such strict categories. There are too many variations between people. According to the paper, I am supposed to be bored by news programs and game shows, yet I like them. I do like action-adventure movies and music videos like they describe, but I don’t like Jackson Pollack, like I “Should.”
At the end of the article there is a table, which describes personality traits based on preference to types of music. This is a definite low point in the paper. The traits are just too broad. Most readers would say they like multiple genres listed in the table, yet the table would say they have conflicting traits. An example of this would be if you liked Rock and Country. They table would say you are both easily stressed and not easily stressed. The paper as a whole may give some hints as to a person’s personality type, but it is not definite by any means.
No comments:
Post a Comment